Monday, January 8, 2007

I gotta get out of this place…

In this installment of resume advice, I will deal with the dreaded question, “Why did you leave your last position?”

Again, this isn’t something I suggest including on your resume, but it is something that will come up in interviews, so we should address the topic anyway.

For Example: You’ve been downsized. We all know that “Downsized” can be code for “Fired”. So it’s a good idea to include how many others were caught up in the downsizing “I was part of a 10% reduction in workforce” and/or what precipitated the downsizing “ABC Company opted to eliminate all regional sales representatives and manage sales through territory managers based at corporate headquarters” is better than a simple “Downsized”.

Try to avoid statements like “In their infinite wisdom, the company decided that they weren’t selling enough products to actually afford to market them, so they got rid of all their marketing people." *

On a similar note: Work History
There are few good reasons to jump from job to job, and it tends to be more acceptable in some industries or positions than others. If you have been contracting, it’s best to make that clear on your resume. If you have a shaky work history, recruiters will avoid you like the plague. In this case, including your reasons for leaving each job may be a good idea.

As long as they aren’t reasons like:
  • Please don't misconstrue my 14 jobs as job-hopping. I have never quit a job.
  • Responsibility makes me nervous.
  • Being in trouble with the law, I moved quite frequently.
  • In my last position, got nowhere as part of a 60-person herd.
  • I did not give the company my full effort and received no chance of advancement in return.
  • My last employer insisted that all employees get to work by 8:45 every morning. I couldn't work under those conditions.
  • Was met with a string of broken promises and lies, as well as cockroaches
  • The company made me a scapegoat - just like my three previous employers.

*The important part is I’m not bitter and I got over it quickly! ;-)

By the way, thanks go to Funny2.com for many of the bad examples for this series.

No comments: