Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Happy New Year!

2006 was a great year for me, I settled into my role here are Partners In Technology, and I am thoroughly enjoying my work and even though I will be turning 30 (or 20-10 as I’ve decided to call it) this year, I am looking forward to 2007!

Of course, the New Year is a time for Resolutions. Personally, I seem to always end up doing the opposite of whatever I’ve resolved to do. So, in a nod to George from Seinfeld this year my resolutions are to spend too much money and gain at least 20 pounds.

But on to my usual topic…

Monster.com recently listed the “Ten Job Resolutions" in their Work/Life Balance section. Of course, Monster is kind enough to include some real advice in each area; which worth reading.

Here are my favorites:

Find New Ways to Greet Coworkers
I'm tired of the nod-and-smile and the hushed "morning." I find myself overusing the noncommittal hello. I'm going to start implementing the heel-click-and-salute, the friendly kick-in-the-shin and the increasingly popular Siberian headlock.

Refurbish My Cube

I want something different, like a Polynesian aristocracy motif or something resembling a caribou herder's hut. Perhaps some well-placed throw rugs would spruce up the place. Maybe a weaving loom or a wax bust of Oprah.

Drink Less Coffee
Ha ha ha! Just kidding. No freakin' chance.

Manage My Time More Effectively
I will limit my productive time in the office by refusing to accept any new assignments. I will attend one out of every three meetings. I will shorten my commute to six minutes by buying a Camaro. I will spend less time writing lists.

Deal with Coworker Disputes in a Civil Fashion
Enough voodoo dolls and gypsy curses. From here on out, I will deal with people in a mature and respectable fashion by completely ignoring them or spreading heinous rumors about them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm taking your advice. I'm refurbishing my cubicle and my image by decorating with stuffed animals so I am seen as more approachable - soft and cuddly, even.