Thursday, January 11, 2007

Customer Service (or lack thereof)

So enough on the topic of bad resumes, let’s talk a bit about what happens when you get the wrong people for the job.

Yesterday, ERE's Daily Newsletter featured this article from Dr. Wendall Williams on the disappointing product and disheartening customer service he received from two guys called Harry and David, whose definition of "Premium Mixed Nuts" clearly differs from that of the author:

I was preparing to physically count the number of almonds and pecans in the package, but without thinking, I ate both of them. So, I decided to check out their customer service claim about having the STRONGEST GUARANTEE IN THE BUSINESS.

I particularly like his recounting of his exchange with the customer service department:

Me: "Supervisor?" (waiting again)

Supervisor: "May I help you?"

Me: (Repeating my complaint about their definition of "premium" and invoking the words "STRONGEST GUARANTEE IN THE BUSINESS".)

Supervisor: "I'm sorry. We have 4,000 reps. I don't even know where this call came from. Do you want some jelly? Our jelly is really good."

Me: "I really wanted premium mixed nuts, but I guess jelly is okay."

Supervisor: "I'm sorry, we're out of jelly. Would you like some truffles?"

Me: "Ok."

Supervisor: "I'm sorry you had a problem."

Me: "Me too."

Dr. Williams tells the story with great humor and provides insights on how companies with the best customer service people select and train them.

Another tidbit gave me something to keep in mind the next time I’m frustrated with the customer service rep that just sent me to muzak hell (a.k.a. put me on hold) for the 4th time.

Customer service is a tough way to make a living. Low-paid people sit for long stretches listening to a never-ceasing queue of complaints. As soon as they hang up one call, an inbound router sends another. Their managers make things worse by expecting reps to deliver quality but punish them for taking too much time to solve problems.
It is any wonder that customer-service reps turn over?

No comments: