Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

The passing of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. saddens me greatly.

I am an avid reader of all sorts of literature and Vonnegut is one of my favorites. I always enjoyed the way he brought humor to subjects I was uncomfortable laughing at... (out loud anyway.)

As Donald Farber, Vonnegut's friend, lawyer, agent and manager said in today's Washington Post, "Every time he spoke with me no matter what the circumstances in the world, he had a funny angle on it even if it wasn't a funny thing."

Some of my favorite Vonnegut Quotes:

I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.

True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

There is nothing intelligent to say about a massacre

The year was 2081, and everyone was finally equal.