Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Job Interviews and American Idol?

I spotted this article from Yahoo! HotJobs today: 'American Idol' and Your Job Interview

Personally, I find American Idol (and most reality TV shows) offensive. This is because I firmly believe the objective of these shows is not to grant a recording contract to the most talented, or a million dollars to the one who outlasts and outwits others in silly games on an island, but instead to entertain the masses by humiliating the untalented and making fun of those that fail. But enough of my soap box...

I do have to agree with the following piece of advice from the HotJobs article:
...you don't have to be the best singer, just the most remembered decent singer. Same for the job interview. You don't always have to be the best candidate with the top skills. You do have to find a way to be the most remembered, hirable candidate.

So maybe it is possible that shows like 'Idol' can teach us important and valuable lessons about life and I should lighten up? ... Nahh...It is still rubbish.

No comments: