Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Video Resumes

Interesting article from ERE recently: “Time to Hit Pause on Video Resumes” talks about the pitfalls of "video resumes".

personally think that video resumes are a ridiculous idea. What could you possibly do on video that you can’t tell me about on paper? (The few things I can think of, I don’t really want to see!)

The author comes to a similar conclusion:



Frankly, [video resumes] exist because the technology allows them to be created easily, not because they represent some great innovation or add anything to improve recruiting. Recruiting processes are designed to include highly structured elements to ensure consistency. Video resumes are, for now, at odds with the requirements of structured processes.


To illustrate my point:While not really a “video resume” the following is an example of a woman that I think has some great information to share about preparing for interviews. I say “I think”, because I can’t manage to watch more than 23 seconds of her!

Think about it this way, if you were to read your resume aloud, would it be captivating or entertaining? No, it would probably be about as interesting as the Interview Prep woman.

But that doesn’t make it invalid; it just means it is better delivered in its written format (much like the interview prep information is better delivered in writing or on the phone).

No comments: