Thursday, February 1, 2007

My worst job ever...



Over the years, I’ve had some pretty miserable jobs. I did in fact, flip burgers for 2 years in high school, and was happy to move on to a more “professional” role when I started college.

I obtained a position working for the Admissions on Campus Programs office at Eastern Michigan University, which managed a number of admissions related programs including some that featured a self-guided tour of the University. On these self-guided tours, a representative of the university would be stationed at points of interest to answer questions and provide information.

On one such occasion, I was assigned to the Ypsilanti Water Tower. As you can see from the picture, the water tower is an interesting building and 16 & 17 year old kids find some rather embarrassing questions to ask the poor tour guide who is trying to remain serious and professional.

My day went something like this:

Prospective Student “So, why does it look like a…”
Me (interrupting): “The exterior was designed in the popular Queen Anne style of the period.”
Prospective Student: “But don’t you think it looks slightly…”
Me (interrupting again): “I really don’t know what you mean”

And then, as the group stepped out onto the walkway which encircles the water tower near the top, someone would ask about the “Legend of the Water Tower” (something about a virgin graduating from EMU and the tower crumbling), and I would be forced to deny I’d ever heard anything like that… And so on… for 6 hours.

So yes, I think that may have been the worst job I’ve ever had.

No comments: