Saturday, June 9, 2007

Murder Cover-up at Eastern Michigan University

Okay, this is off my normal topic, but I'm outraged and I must rant. As an EMU alumni, I'm really quite upset, and I'd like to think that people without ties to the university would be angry as well. As I'm sure this story hasn't made it much beyond my home state of Michigan, I'll give you the brief recap:

In December, a EMU student was found dead in her dorm room. The university insisted that there were no indications of fool play. Eastern Michigan University stuck to this version of events for sometime, however it was eventually revealed that the student was a murder victim, killed by another EMU student.

Yesterday, it was revealed that the university administration not only insisted that EMU should maintain it's "No fool play story" but actively concealed information about the murder by shredding documents which reported the details of the murder. My understanding is that this is a violation of the "Clery Act".

More for my local news station >

Let me say here that I had nothing but a positive experience at Eastern Michigan University, I cannot stress enough that I felt safe and protected on campus, I believe the campus is still safe. The University Police were always serious about the responsibility they had for protecting us as students, and I believe they still are. Obviously the investigation continued, and an arrest was made.

My question is this, to the administrators of EMU, including two individuals for whom I once had tremendous respect, Why? What did you hope accomplish by covering this up? Surely an administration that decieves its student body and lies to the public is more of a deterrent to enrollment than one act of violence on your campus.

Some things are more important that your job, or your organization's reputation. Namely the truth.

Emus don't bury their heads in the sand, ostriches do.

No comments: