Thursday, June 21, 2007

I'll never call it Bland Rapids again!

JoAnn Fitzpatrick, former editorial editor of the Patriot Ledger in Boston, apparently visited my home town recently and penned this piece on “Why can’t we be more like Grand Rapids?”

Although my company works nationwide, with clients in locations that can be notoriously hard sells (think Iowa, Nebraska and a “quaint little town in western New York state") we have run into the “Grand Rapids… really?” response when talking with candidates about our local clients.

Our local clients are major multi-billion dollar companies and industry leaders with great reputations, but that often can't overcome the "but it's in a flyover state" roadblock.

This "ugh" response to the location is really difficult for me to understand, because... well I like it here!

So, it was nice to hear the positive impression Grand Rapids left on a visitor from the coast. Her comments include:

…A place that truly seems to represent good old-fashioned American values

The streets of Grand Rapids are as gleaming as the refurbished buildings throughout the downtown

Midwestern friendliness and helpfulness were everywhere

Downtown Grand Rapids, a city of about 200,000, is a laboratory of urban renewal.

But I had to laugh when I read: “There you can buy a five-bedroom house in the historic district for $400,000. Yup, $400,000”

I found myself thinking, do you really think $400k is a great deal? Our neighbor’s house (4000+ sq ft, 4 bedrooms, and an in-ground pool, all on a beautiful 1 acre wooded lot) is less than $300,000! Granted it isn't "downtown" but there is hardly such a thing as a "difficult commute" in Grand Rapids!

Is the Midwestern cost of living is the best kept secret in America?

Think about these numbers:
  • Compared to Boston, the Grand Rapids cost of living is 34% lower.
  • Compared to San Francisco, the Grand Rapids cost of living is 53.5% lower
  • Compared to New York City, the Grand Rapids cost of living is 56% lower

Salary.com will tell you that, yes, employees make a bit less in Grand Rapids… but not that much less. For example, if you’re making $100,000 in Boston, and you moved here, you would need $71,000 to maintain your currently lifestyle, and would be likely make at least $90,000 or so - and besides, it's not likely that you'll be asked to take a drastic pay cut when you move here!

Don’t get me wrong, Grand Rapids has its fair share of problem neighborhoods and not-so-great areas, but for a city of 200,000 it’s a pretty nice place.

I promise to never call it "Bland Rapids" again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked in Cedar Rapids for six months and *loved* it. I moved there from Miami and was shocked, shocked to find 1) that people actually stop when the light is red, 2) there was no litter and no graffiti, 3) the houses didn't have burglar bars, and 4) people returned the carts to the store instead of leaving them loose in the lot.

Then I had to transfer to Memphis.

I really, really miss the midwest.

Karen said...

Thanks for the comment class factotum... you know.. I might be able to help you out with getting back to the midwest!

Anonymous said...

Well, my boyfriend does live in Milwaukee. If he ever proposes (rolls eyes, taps place where watch would be if she had one), I will need a job there!

Karen said...

Ohhh... really!!! I have clients in Milwaukee! Feel free to send me your resume! Haha!

Good luck with the boyfriend! (3 years and counting here!)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

My wife and I are trying to relocate to Grand Rapids this year. I am from Chicago and she is from Leland so it's a great half way point. At first when she suggested Grand Rapids I felt the same way as your typical road block comments. After 1 visit I was sold the town, gas light village, Reeds lake...sign me up ! I'd really like to speak with you about finding us some gainful employment as it seems to be hard to come by these days. We are both hard working intellegent 30 somethings so it shouldn't be too hard right ?