Friday, December 22, 2006

My Nightmare Interview...

Happy Holidays to everyone!

After yesterday’s post, I thought I might take a moment today to share one of the worst interview stories I know. Of course the reason it’s one of the worst: it happened to me!

Shortly after graduating from Eastern Michigan University, I had the opportunity to interview for an Admissions Representative position here in Grand Rapids. I breezed through the phone screen, met with a couple of people in a face to face interview, and finally was asked to prepare a short presentation which I would present to the entire admissions staff for my final interview. I spent a day or so madly editing and rehearsing the presentation I’d made to hundreds of students while recruiting for EMU. Finally I felt I had the presentation down (I was no longer saying “Eastern” throughout it anyway…)

I managed to have a good night’s sleep before the interview, and was reciting my pitch in the shower and as I dressed for the interview. I chose a chocolate brown suit over a black blouse, (very professional looking I thought) and after a moment of deliberation over which shoes to wear, I was off.

I walked into a conference room full of potential colleagues, answered a few brief questions about my background, and then stood and paced around the table while telling them all about “The 5 P’s of Choosing a College” (Programs, Preparation, People, Place, and Price).

I nailed it! I was great; they were interested and attentive, nodding and smiling. I was awesome!

We closed the interview, and I was feeling euphoric; they told me they’d be in touch by the end of the day. Still on cloud nine, I headed for my car, tripped and nearly fell face first onto the ground. I thought, “Wow, this parking lot is awfully uneven” and looked down at what I thought would be cracked pavement.

Instead I discovered my inability to walk was the result of wearing two shoes not even REMOTELY similar; one black 1½” heel, and one brown 2” heel,

I was horrified, embarrassed, and feeling totally stupid. Flashbacks to the conference room…were they smiling at my presentation or laughing at my shoes? Oh god, what have I done!

I went home, all my excitement and positive energy gone, and waited for the phone to ring. I started to rationalize, like… maybe they hadn’t noticed, maybe they thought I always walked with a slight limp, maybe they thought I was color blind, maybe they thought I knew and just didn’t let it phase me…

To my surprise, I was offered the job! I guess you really can recover from anything!

2 comments:

Figure 8 said...

Welcome to the world of blogging and may your shoes stay matched and your posts stay funny.

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't spill the interviewer's coffee all over them. An interviewee who came to see me for an interview was in such a hurry to shake hands that he knocked my coffee cup over me. Think the interviewer will like you when he has no coffee he can drink and is a little damp?