Friday, March 2, 2007

Too Much Information (on your resume)

Too much information (on your resume)…

A very simple rule: Hobbies, personal interests and personal information should only be included on your resume if you can relate them to the position for which you are a applying.

A good example: A mechanical engineer applying for a position designing automotive safety components who builds race car roll cages in his spare time.

A bad example: A mechanical engineer applying for a position designing automotive safety components who spends his spare time cooking and painting.

A short overview of the “Personal” section of one resume:
I Married my childhood sweetheart in 1976. In 1978 the one and only spawn of my loins was born. I started trying to water ski in 1984 and by 2000 I bought a real ski boat and start trying to barefoot. I like movies and art and enjoy making people laugh. Eventually I will master the deepwater barefoot start.

Well, I got a laugh out of this, at least he accomplished that goal. But in general, I'd avoid talking about your "loins" (fruitful or otherwise) on your resume.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad it was loins and not lions.