Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Talkin' 'bout my education...

Today's resume advice: Education

This one is simple: Don’t lie. If you don’t have a degree, you don’t have one. Eventually someone will catch you, and it will not be good for your career.

The argument goes something like “College wouldn’t teach me anything I haven’t learned in X years on the job”.

Maybe that’s true, but the value of a college education is much more than what you learn in class.

I’ve decided the most valuable things I learned in college were:
  • Responsibility and accountability (you can only skip so many classes before you learn this)
  • How to problem solve and manage time
  • How to get along with diverse groups of people
  • How to find answers, even if sometimes you don’t know the question
  • Openness to new ideas and the value in other points of view

Of course, I majored in Political Science, so it’s not like my coursework really applies to anything.

As for your educational history as part of your resume:
Always provide the name of the school, the degree received, and the program of study (yes, even if it’s Political Science). The year of graduation and GPA are optional. However, if you’re graduated with Honors, definitely add that, if your GPA was below 3.0 probably leave that off.

What not to share about your education:
  • While I've never quite gotten a degree, I am quite close to several.
  • Completed 11 years of high school
  • College, August 1880-May 1984
  • Beer pong champion
  • Finished eighth in my high school graduating class of ten
  • Suspected to graduate early next year
  • GPA: 1.2/4.0

3 comments:

Evil HR Lady said...

Karen, I am so offended. I have not one but two degrees in political science and they have been so helpful--wait, never mind.

But, hey, do you want to discuss political philosophy?

I agree with you 100%!

Karen said...

I used to joke that my "Interpersonal Communications and International Relations" degree would prepare me to ask, as dipolmatically as possible "Would you like fries with that?"

Alison said...

Great post. I would also add that the main issue here isn't the value or irrelevance of a college degree, but rather than value and relevance of wanting to hire someone who is not a liar.